Alice’s Apple Cranberry Crisp (with a hint of citrus)
Total time: Approximately 1 ¼ hours.
30 minutes (prep); 45 minutes (cook).
· 6 tart apples, cored, and thinly sliced (5 if the apples are large)
· Cranberries — two choices:
· EITHER 1 ½ cups chopped cranberries (about 1 1/2 cups whole cranberries) PLUS 2/3 cup granulated sugar
· OR 1 ¼ cup Craisins®(dried, sweetened cranberries)
· ½ cup fresh orange juice
· 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest (the orange part of the peel)
· 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
· ¾ cup rolled oats, quick or regular
· ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· ½ teaspoon clove
· ½ teaspoon nutmeg
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cut in small pieces
· Slice and core the apples — I choose to keep the skin on; so, I usually scrub the apples before I slice them.
· Place the apples in a mixing bowl.
· Add the Craisins OR fresh cranberries and sugar to the apples. (Hint: Craisins do NOT need sugar.)
· Sprinkle the tapioca and orange zest over the apple/cranberry mix.
· Add the orange juice and mix the ingredients together.
· Spoon the filling into a lightly buttered 11x7x2-inch baking dish.
· Prepare the streusel.
· In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, spices and flour.
· Cut in the cold butter until coarse crumbs form.
· Sprinkle the topping evenly over fruit.
· Bake at 375° for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the streusel topping is browned and the fruit is tender and bubbly.
· Serve with French vanilla ice cream OR fresh whipped cream.