Alice’s Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta
Total time: Approximately 30-45 minutes hours.
15 minutes (prep); 15-30 minutes (cook).
With a vegetarian daughter, this is an important staple in our home.
· 1/3 cup olive oil
· 1 cup sliced fresh wild mushrooms
· ½ cup chopped green onions — white part only, discard the green tops
· ¼ cup minced garlic
· ½ cup olive wedges
· 1 cup diced tomatoes
· 2 cups cooked asparagus, cut on a diagonal
· 1 ½ cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
· ½ cups Marsala wine, or a dry white wine of your choice
· Flour or corn starch slurry (made with equal parts flour OR cornstarch AND water)
· 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
· 1 teaspoon sea salt
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 1 pound (16 ounces) fusilli or bow tie pasta
· Freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
· In a large skillet, over high heat, sauté the mushrooms, green onions, and garlic in the olive oil until they are tender.
· Add the olives and tomatoes. Heat thoroughly.
· Add the cooked asparagus and dry spices, stirring constantly.
· Add the wine to flash point — to cook out the alcohol — then add chicken or vegetable stock.
· Add the flour (or corn starch) slurry to thicken the sauce.
· Place the cooked pasta into a serving vessel and mix in the vegetables and sauce.
· When everything is well mixed, sprinkle the dish with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and serve hot.