Alice’s Beef Stew with Beer
Total time: Approximately three hours.
30 minutes (prep); 2 ½ hours (cook).
· 2 pounds lean sirloin roast
· ¼ cup olive oil
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 4 tablespoons mixed garlic
· 3 teaspoons steak seasoning
· 2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
· 2 cans or bottles (12 ounce) dark beer
· 4 medium-to-large red potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
· ¼ cup olive oil
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
· (1) 16 ounce bag of frozen vegetables — corn, carrots, peas and green beans
· 1 can (10 ½ ounce) low sodium, reduced fat, condensed beef broth
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup cold water
Prepare the meat:
· Trim the sirloin roast of all visible fat.
· Chop the onions.
· In a large frying pan/skillet, brown the meat in olive oil, onions and garlic. Add the herbs and seasonings.
· Place the meat in a roasting pan, and add the beer. (Use the same skillet for the potatoes.)
· Cover and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
While the meat is cooking, prepare and cook the potatoes:
· Slice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. (I leave the skin on.)
· Place the sliced potatoes in the same skillet you used to brown the meat. (Add more olive oil, if necessary.)
· Season with salt and pepper and cook the potatoes until they are done. This should about 15-20 minutes.
Prepare the stew:
· Take the roast out of the oven and — while keeping it in the same roasting pan — slice the meat into bite-sized, hearty pieces.
· Add the cooked potatoes and frozen vegetables to the pot.
· Add the beef broth.
· Place the covered roasting pan back in the over continue cooking for 30 to 35 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender.
Prepare the gravy:
In a small bowl or cup mix the flour
and water until smooth; stir into the stew until hot and thickened.
Serve with biscuits and apple butter and enjoy!